DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICS
DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS
DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY
Milagres College is situated on the banks of beautiful scenic Swarna River in Kallianpur, of Udupi Taluk and District on the Cost of Arabian sea in Karnataka. Milagres College, Kallianpur is a brain child of the great visionary Msgr. Denis J. D’Souza, then the Parish priest of Milagres cathedral, Kallianpur. This great visionary of the ripe age of 83 years, with the assistance of Msgr. William Lewis, then Vicar general of Mangalore Diocese and the proud son of Kallianpur started Milagres College with Arts and Commerce Courses in 1967. With his bold step the dreams and aspirations of the people of Kallianpur were realized. Milagres College carries the mission of meeting the educational needs of youth belonging to economically backward families, physically challenged and lady students.
The Department of Chemistry was a good news announced in the year 1981. It was a great event both for Milagres Parish and Milagres College, when Tri-Centenary Celebrations of Milagres Church were organized in 1981 under the able guidance of V. Rev. Fr G. L. D’Cruz, then Vicar of Milagres Church (Present Milagres Cathedral), Kallianpur. It was at this juncture, the idea of introducing Science section was mooted. The fruit was the Science section was started in the academic Year 1981-1982. Rev. Fr Peter Theodore D’Souza was the Principal and Rev. Fr Robert Crasta was the Vice-Principal of the College during that time. Mr. Subramanya Joshi, M Sc, and Mr. Joseph peter Fernandes were the pioneers in the Department of Chemistry. Prof. Subramanya Joshi retired on 31-10-2018 and in his place Dr Prakash Anil Castelino was appointed. Prof. Joseph Peter Fernandes was the HOD after Prof. Joshi’s retirement, and as a HOD renovated and upgraded the Chemistry Lab, which was blessed on 27-06-2020. Prof. Josph Peter Fernandes was retired on 31-12-2020 and in his place Mrs. Loyleeta M. D’Souza was appointed.
Currently Dr Prakash Anil Castelino, Asst Professor, & HOD and Mrs. Loyleeta D’Souza, Asst professor are the staff member.
- Vision and Mission of Chemistry Department:
- Encourage, Promote and Nurture the basics of Chemistry through an efficient learning methods and motivating students to apply academic knowledge into present-day issues and concerns with a scientific approach.
- To employ best teaching methodologies that focus on integrating theoretical data with practical hands on training.
- To deliver the emerging trends in Science and Technology, facilitating excellent application to industry and society.
- To foster skills by offering innovative programmes, field visits and Industrial visits.
- To from professionals and researchers in chemistry driven by competence, commitment, compassion and conscience.
- To help the rural students to acquire basic education of scientific knowledge.
- To improve the personality of students by making students to feel proud of the subject and the fact that Chemistry is a dynamic science with the highest utility at present.
- To make the students understand that Chemistry is not alien but a part of day today life.
- To encourage students to apply Chemistry in their daily life situations.
- To prepare students to pursue higher education in Chemistry and Research work.
- To respond to the needs of the society in a small way by helping economically poor students of Kallianpur Village and surrounding villages.